Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mele Kalikimaka!

Sorry for the last post, I told myself I wasn't going to write about serious/political things. Admittedly, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I'll try to keep it a little lighter for the most part.

For Christmas, my lovely brother gave me an ukulele! Now keeping in mind that I've literally no musical ability whatsoever, I'm already quite happy with my progress, if I may say so myself. It's an adorable little yellow Makala. Actually it's really cheap; it doesn't stay tuned for very long. Andy's given me a few pointers, he basically taught himself this fall after we got one for him for his birthday in July. Now I just discovered this website, ukeschool.com, which has free lessons and tuning guides and chord charts and everything I need. My fingers are getting pretty sore. Unfortunately, I really can't bring it to school with me, as I already go to extreme lengths to distract myself and really don't need the added bonus of a musical instrument to torture my roommates with. So that leaves me a little more than two weeks to try and learn as much as possible....which may amount to very little, indeed.

Anyway, ukeschool is great. One hour lessons once a day, and interactive shtuff you can play along to.  My goal, longterm that is, is to one day play this song relatively well.




Due to my inherent lack of singing ability, that day may be a long way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment